Thursday, August 16, 2012

HiA in NYC

I officially have a homecoming date: October 1st, 2012.  I just signed up for a conference in New York on Sept 29th hosted by Humanity in Action (the same group I worked with all June in Amsterdam and Sarajevo).  I'm really hoping this leads to something like a part-time job or even an internship.  Now I just have to book the major trans-Atlantic flight from Poland to NYC or Newark -- which is closer to where I will be staying with the lovely Mike, who's currently getting his MFA from Rutgers. Thanks Mike!

After my parents left Paris for Warsaw I took the TVG train (high-speed rail that can reach up to 200 mph) to Avignon, to meet up with a friend I met hitchhiking the Carretera Austral in Chile.  Since yesterday happened to be a federal holiday, Fabrice took me cycling around southern France to some of the near by villages.  In 95 degree weather (35° C) we covered about 20 miles through grape vines, dirt roads, and medieval villages.  According to our gps, we hit highs of about 110° F (45°C) and speeds of about 35mph. After cold showers and naps we went wine tasting like distinguished folk.  I swirled reds and rosés around in my mouth and pretended I knew what I was doing.  And I had a good time pretending.

Today we bought a bunch of smelly cheeses and enjoyed our red wines.  After my hand picked soundtrack of Jay-Z and Kanye West moved Fabrice (Edith Piaf was yesterday, of course) we watched 8 Mile, which is shockingly 10 years old by now.

Tomorrow morning I will be on the highway trying to hitch a ride east towards the Italian border, as I start orientation in Sanremo Sunday.

-Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment