Friday, August 24, 2012

Enjoying La Dolce Vita

I arrived in Italy last Saturday and just wrapped up one week of orientation for work.  We spent the week playing games, learning techniques for teaching grammar, and just figuring out how these summer camps run.  The staff is just amazing -- loud, funny, energetic... the typical camp councelor types.  There was about 50 of us new tutors and out of that group, the number of guys was... four.  How's that for la dolce vita?  So alongside the warm weather (oh so hot and stuffy!), gelatto, and oceanside scenery of beaches and palm trees, I've also been enjoying the company of about 45 wonderfully smart and beautiful ladies.

Tomorrow it's off to some small town whose name I can't remember, not too far from Milan.  On Monday I start work.  I will be working with only one other tutor, a blonde Aussie named Sarah.  We have only 21 kids total in the camp, so it'll be quite different from the English camps of 200 I did in Santiago de Chile.  After the coming week, I'll have at least one more week of work, and then after that either more camp work or a quick trip to Rome and a return flight to Warsaw.  From there I'll be flying to NYC.  Haven't looked at flights yet, but I do know I have to be in New York by Sept. 29th for an HiA conference.  Hopefully that conference can lead to some job opportunities in Chicago, or at least in the US. And if not, it's still a great excuse to visit old friends, as well as some of the wonderful people I just met this summer in DC and Amsterdam for my HiA fellowship.

Now I'm off to enjoy my last night out in Sanremo with this great group of ladies (and token gentlemen). 

-Paolo

No comments:

Post a Comment